Dial 999 to Get the Police (and Keep Your Goodies Hidden).

I woke up and found my wallet missing from my purse.

The night before, I was in Brixton to see a reggae/ska show at Hootananny's. I left my purse unattended at one point in the night, not thinking of the consequences that might bring.

I called my mom. She canceled my credit cards for me while I proceeded to find nearest police station in my South Kensington neighborhood. I walked in 90 degree weather for about an hour before I finally located the station.

I filed a report and the officer instructed me to call the Brixton police station in a few days to see if my wallet "turned up." I knew the chances of that were slim.

Along with credit cards, my social security card was in the wallet so I was concerned my identity could be stolen. Unfortunately, the police officer said nothing could be done about that unless there was indication or evidence that my social security number was being used by another person.

This wasn't the best news to hear but at least I had done everything I could.

I was lucky I kept my license, bank card, and tube pass in another pocket in my purse. I would have spent a lot of money for replacements if those had been taken as well.

My advice to travelers: if you plan on carrying around all your important information with you, DON'T. Save yourself a hassle. Always keep your purse/ wallet with you at all times. You can't trust anyone you don't know.

I was warned several times about the pickpockets in London but of course I never thought it'd happen to me.

I thought wrong.

- Text and image by Leah Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment